Saturday, April 26, 2014

At work on new series of pens for Montegrappa.
Featuring the White Egret, which is symbolic in many cultures, 
from representing strength, purity of character, long life, 
to having the ability to communicate with the Gods.
The creation of this series of pens has been fraught with frustration and anxiety, 
but I think they are finally coming together as I originally imagined.



There comes a point in the creative process, where a decision must be made, a point where the work seems beautiful and complete, but deep in the heart of the artist, it falls short, stagnant in its beauty, empty of soul.
For me there is only one thing to do at that point, either destroy the work, or push it into a direction it fights against, a direction that will either kill or cure it.
It is at this point I find myself now, with works over 4 months in the making, they are beautiful, but there is nothing behind that...no heartbeat, no soul.
Tomorrow I push them, I will try to take them to a point where they will either be destroyed, or they will find new life and move towards something wonderful.
Of course I hope it is the latter, but I must be prepared to say goodbye to them and thank them for a valuable, and very frustrating lesson.
© 2014 TIMOTHY JOHN